Historical Homes in East Skinner ButteThe East Skinner Butte Historic Landmark Area was designated by the City of Eugene in 1979. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, it consists of 24 buildings of architectural and historic significance built during the periods of 1850-1920ís. The 2-3 block area in downtown Eugene, is located on the east of Skinner Butte, fronting on High and Pearl Streets, and 2nd and 3rd Avenues. It is the city's only historically designated area.
by Simon Smith, Broker
The first major construction period that took place in the 1880ís is represented by the Queen Anne style. The second period consists of the Bungalow styles of the 1910-1920ís. Other styles as the Rural Greek or Gothic Revival of the 1890ís, have been relocated to their present sites.
Shelton-McMurphey House: 303 Willamette Street.
Built in 1888, this home is the most elaborate example of the Queen Anne Victorian style of architecture in Eugene. Itís distinguished by the elaborately carved and turned exterior woodwork, polygonal tower and prominent siting on the south side of Skinner Butte.
The home was built for Dr. T.W. Shelton, an early Eugene physician, his wife, and daughter. After the death of her parents and her marriage to Robert McMurphey, a Eugene insurance and real estate man, Alberta Shelton-McMurphey continued to live and raise her family there. In 1951, Dr. Eva Johnson and her husband purchased the property. Dr. Johnson, who resided in the home until 1986, gave the house and surrounding gardens to the Lane county Historical Museum in 1975.
Ankeny House ... 212 Pearl Street
Built in 1896, this Queen Anne style home overlooks the City and Willamette River. The third floor was originally a ballroom. The garage added in 1910, once featured a mechanical turntable in itís floor. The home was built by Henry Ankeny, the son of a prominent Portland banker and financier, who conducted ranching and farming operations locally.
Wheeler House ... 245 Pearl Street
Built in 1909, this 1 Ĺ story Swiss Bungalow has Swiss Chalet detailing including curved brackets, stick work and interior boxed window seats, gable roof, dormer windows, cedar shingle siding, irregular fenestration (1/1 sashes with multiple panes), and front porch. The house also has a full daylight basement on the south side. The back portion was added in the late 1920ís . The rock garden is formed by the sandstone foundation of the first home built on the property in 1870, and occupied by Mary Skinner Packard. Upon her death, the property was sold to T.W. Shelton who in turn sold to Mary E. Wheeler in 1890.
Campbell House ... 252 Pearl Street
Built in 1892, this large home is one of the early Queen Anne residences constructed. Surrounded by impressive landscaping, it was built for Idaho Cogswell Fraseir before her marriage to Ira Lane Campbell, owner and editor of the Eugene Register Guard.
Fuller/Watts House ... 335 Pearl Street
Built during 1891-1893 this house is typical Queen Anne Style with Italianate Portico, three windows styles, no gables, a corner tower, and bay windows. It is constructed of local fir and cedar with balloon construction techniques. The only hardwood in the house is the steamed bent maple stair railing and maple fireplace mantle.
The home stands on property originally patented by Eugene F. Skinner in 1860. J. N. B. Fuller, president of the Eugene Lumber Company, began construction of the house in 1891. In 1919, Joesph O. Watts, the first trained optometrist in Eugene, bought the house. He and his family lived in it until his death in 1934.
Emil Koppe House ... 205 East 3rd Avenue
Built in 1892, this is the Cityís earliest examples of the Queen Anne style and still retains much of its original exterior detail. Most noticeable are the gables, which are covered with narrow vertical siding and contain a circular window framed by decorative bargeboard. Built for Clara Cogswell and her husband E.H. Ingram, this house was later associated with Emil Koppe, president of the Eugene Woolen Mill.
Paul Koppe House & Barn ... 221 East 3rd Ave
Built in 1926, this house is a late example of the Colonial Bungalow style characterized by the symmetrical front facade, jerkinhead roof, and huge fluted porch columns. The barn in the alley was built in 1895 and originally was the carriage house for the Emil Koppe House next door. It has vertical boards, molded battens and a loft. Sliding doors at both ends allowed carriages to be driven through.
Paul Koppe was the oldest son of Emil Koppe, owner of the Eugene Woolen Mills. He resided in the home until his death in 1970.
Pironi House ... 235 East 3rd Street
Built in 1911, this is an excellent early example of the Bungalow popular in the 1910ís to the late 1920ís. Typical features in this 1 Ĺ story are the gable roof and dormer window, shingle and clapboard siding, window flower boxes, exposed rafter tails and brackets which support the wide overhanging eaves. The houseís rustic character is enhanced by the use of natural materials and colors, and simple detailing. The large wrap-around porch which was used as an outdoor room integrates the house into its natural surroundings.
Built by Joseph Pironi, the manager of Eugene Ice and Cold Storage, an ice plant and beer depot owned by Henry Weinhard. Mrs. Joseph Pironi lived in the house until the middle 1940ís.
Cogswell-Miller House ... 246 East 3rd Ave
Built in 1884 this home is one of only two Rural Gothic houses in Eugene. Moved by horses in 1909 to its present location, this home features two-over-two double hung windows, square by windows, decorative brackets, window hoods, jerkinhead roof, and truncated gables.
John Cogswell built this home on the corner of 3rd and Pearl for his daughter DeEtta, one of the first University of Oregon graduates. After her early death, her sister and brother-in-law, Lischen and George Melvin Miller, purchased and moved into the house in 1884.
The McAllister House ... 286 High Street
Built in 1904, this is the last of the large Victorian period residences constructed in the area. Most interest architecturally is the houseís Colonial Revival detailing such as triangulated gables, simple brackets and turned columns. The Victorian style gardens enhances the property. The redwood tree in the front yard was brought from California by the original owners. McAllister, a local banker, was known for the rose he always wore on his lapel.
Mims House ... 330 High Street
Built in 1867, this simple pioneer dwelling appears to be one of the oldest residences constructed in the area. The Gothic Revival style is characterized by the steep gable roof and painted arch windows. A front porch and wooden-railed balcony were lost when the structure was moved to the current site between 1918 and 1921. It is the current site of Midgleyís Mill.
The gothic farmhouse next door was built in 1879, and is the oldest structure in the area on its original site.
Henderson House ... 260 High Street
Built in 1857 as part of a tavern, this is the cityís oldest example of Greek Revival architecture and is characterized by clapboard siding, handmade six-over-six light windows, eave returns, and wide frieze boards. This home was moved to itís present site in 1909. The house was associated with Rev. Enoch P. Henderson, first president of Columbia College (1856-1859). Rev. Henderson used the building for his private school 1861-1870 before converting it to his residence.
|About the Author: Information was gathered by the Eugene Planning Department. Simon is a Realtor with Key Realty Group Inc and can be reached at 541-954-8600 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.|
Editor's Note: opinions expressed in this article are those of the Author, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of OIP.NET, its owners or members.